Tuesday, February 18, 2014

The Other Side of Gold



No secret I am a Figure Skating fan, and I admit I was thrilled to see Davis and White win, and am enjoying all the media coverage of them.  However; for every happy ending there is a not so happy ending, especially when competition is involved. In order for there to be a #1 there has to be a #2 - 3 - 4 and so on.  I refuse to use the word loser as it has too many negative connotations.  
Where I am I going with all this?  Well, first I want to talk about an interesting connection with the musical piece Scheherazade.  In the 1984 Olympics US Ice Dancers Judy Blumberg and Michael Seibert came extremely close to winning a Bronze Medal, but lost it as one judge gave them a deduction for their music - Scheherazade - saying it was inappropriate music for Ice Dance.  Interesting that now 30 years later the US Ice Dancers win Gold with the same music.  Ice Dancing and the scoring has evolved a great deal since that time but, it is an interesting coincidence.  
For your comparison and enjoyment - Blumberg and Seibert's "Scheherazade"


Now on to Virtue and Moir 2010 Gold Medalists and Silver Medalists this year.  They skated beautifully and I am sure their fans felt they deserved Gold.  That is the beauty and frustration of judged sports; not everyone has the same perception.  I will say that I think we skating fans benefited from the competition between Virtue /Moir and Davis/White as it drove them both to ever higher levels.  
I saw this video on NBC's Olympics site and I thought is was very poignant and worthy of sharing. Thank you Virtue/Moir and Davis/White it was an truly epic competition.  No words necessary to describe this - it speaks for itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment