Thursday, January 16, 2014

Impressed with the Impressionists at the DIA

Detroit Institute of Art - Life Is Short Art Is Long

Let me start off by saying I am not really what you would call an 'art lover'.  However; I decided on a #Gadflyin outing to the DIA.  The local Senior Center was offering a bus trip and for $5 you got a bus ride, welcoming cookies and coffee,  and a short guided tour.  The guided tour was of the Impressionists and afterwards you got a little time to explore on your own. 

Detroit Institute of Art - Self Portrait - Vincent van Gogh

This is a short list of what I learned:
  • The Impressionism art movement occurred in the late 19th century 
  • The Impressionism movement coincided with the development (no pun intended) of the camera
  • The Impressionism movement coincided with the invention of the paint tube - making it easier for artists to go outside and paint
  • I like Impressionist paintings
  • You need more that a couple of hours to view the DIA
  • The Detroit Institute of Art is a Detroit treasure

Detroit Institute of Art - Gladioli - Claude Monet

Bottom line - I will be #Gadflyin back and probably taking a full day to go through The Detroit Institute of Art.  I definitely plan on taking the multimedia tour of Detroit Industry the Diego Rivera mural.

Detroit Institute of Art Diego Rivera mural Detroit Industry

No comments:

Post a Comment